The Peoples Place is a community project, a public venue and home for various faith communities in Flemington, Melbourne.
‘a cause in our neighbourhood’
Its Food Hall, Meeting Room and Sanctuary spaces are available for community use and hire as a means of continuing old Fred’s cause…
- The Flemington People’s Pantry: Multicultural Food Swap
- ‘See’ Employment Education Program by WCIG Western Community Initiatives Group
- No Lights No Lycra: Community Dance
- Warplings: Role-play and Table Gaming
- ‘Tiny Tunes’ Playgroup
- ‘Peoples Prayers’ A Christian Prayer Gathering
- Hope Romanian Baptist Church
“if the word community is to mean or amount to anything , it must refer to a place (in its natural integrity) and its people. it must refer to a placed people.” – wendell berry
For us such ‘placed people’ include…
The Wurundjeri of the Kulin nation (Acts 17: 26-27)
Alfred ‘Dad’ Mathews who placed the advertisement in the local paper for “ a cause in our neighbourhood”.
Mrs Meyer who’s young women’s’ group taught life skills and raised funds for locals during the 1930’s depression.
Joseph and Licia Ciampa who travelled from Italy to start the first Italian baptist speaking church in Victoria in the post-war 1950‘s.
Betty Lynch (our oldest member) who has supported multicultural children’s and community food programs with local public housing estate residents since the 1980’s.
So what about now and what about you?
We welcome friends and partners to participate in our shared life as:
friends through online or occasional connection, with a focus on former members or non-local supporters.
volunteers who join us are in the work of our neighbourhood causes
faith community members Members of our People’s Place faith community run
- Peoples Prayer, (a simple Christian prayer gathering Sunday’s 4.30-6pm)
- The Flemington People’s Pantry,
- Tiny Tunes Playgroup
- various local public events through the year such as ‘Beer and Carols’ and host the community centre.
We are a missional community of Essendon Baptist Community Church and custodians of the buildings on behalf of Baptist Union of Victoria.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Prayer Gallery, Spanish Lounge & People’s Food Hall spaces are available for public hire.